Numbers Don't Lie

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

People feel pain differently

I have long believed that pain sensitivity varies genetically among people. In a recent medical research, a gene called GCH1 regulates an enzyme that correlates with pain sensitivity in rats. In humans, having 1 copy of a particular version of the gene makes you less pain-sensitive than other people; having 2 copies makes you highly insensitive to pain.
I am sure I get just 1 copy (or less) of GCH1, and my daughter have 2 (or 3) copies. Next time when you admire someone who seem more heroic than you, please understand that they may just be luckier and more comfortable under pain.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Sicilian said...

Numeric. . . . very interesting. . . I wonder if women more often than men got 2 copies. . . after all that child birth thing is no fun at all. . .
Ciao

7:13 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I felt no pain in a double medical emergency, kidney stones and apendicitis and they didnt find anything till the xray. Vomit was the symptom. My tharapist and I considered child abuse as the reason.

6:35 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i totally agree. i hate that "rate your pain on a scale of 1-10" question. how can i quantify pain? and even if i can, does that really help the doctor, esp if my version of pain is different than theirs?

8:51 AM

 
Blogger asroh said...

Hey, how interesting blog. I like your thought. Good job guy!

12:45 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home