Numbers Don't Lie

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Excess weight reduces men's fertility

Obese men are more likely to be infertile than their slimmer peers, according to the first study to look at whether a man's weight influences a couple's fertility (Epidemiology, Sept. 2006).
Researcher found for every excess 10 kilograms, or 20 pounds, may cut a man's fertility by 10%.
There are a number of mechanisms by which being overweight could affect fertility in males. For example, excess weight may reduce sperm concentration/count, alter hormonal balance and increase scrotal temperature, or overweight men may simply have lower libidos and less sex than normal-weight men.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Oberon said...

.......my I.Q.....is........136.

7:42 AM

 
Blogger Jeans Pants said...

Hello. I visited this site once, I commented and promised I'd be back. That was 4 months ago. I promise to visit more frequently. Anyways so this post is telling me that if I don't want kids to get fatter and if I do I should lose some weight. I guess if Im going to gain weight nows a good time =0).
~Justin

7:35 PM

 
Blogger House of Suz said...

I would think obese men would be less likely to have sex, period, so that would greatly reduce their chances of fertilizing an egg as well.

8:35 AM

 
Blogger Jen said...

What about over weight women? Do they suffer from infertility as well?

3:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home